Thursday, January 13, 2011

Moving to LA

It's warm here. Of course it's warm here. I'm in Los Angeles, it's supposed to be warm.

Tomorrow I'll embark on an apartment hunt. In preparation for this, I've been watching a lot of real estate shows on HGTV. On HGTV I've learned a lot about looking for a place to live. I've learned you have to compromise. Which is good because I've been living in house. With bedrooms and a husband and dogs. Now I'll be living in an apartment, and talking to said husband and dogs by Skype.

HGTV also says that I can reasonably expect to spend a third of my income on rent.

They are joking. But it doesn't matter, because a third of my income doesn't get me a place that is qualitatively better than what I actually think I can afford to pay. To get a place that is qualitatively better--significantly more square feet, say, and nicely made, rather than the basic box, would cost me about my average income.

However, I have finally tried In-and-Out Burger. I see what everyone was talking about.

14 Comments:

Blogger Jake said...

What prompted the move, out of curiosity?

January 13, 2011 10:31 PM  
Blogger Walt said...

Out of curiosity, what part of LA are you looking in, Maureen? And how long do you plan to be there (if you can tell us).

Best wishes with the move, and job.

--
Walt

January 14, 2011 9:56 AM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Jake, I am a partner in a little media company and recent events have made it necessary to, you know, be where the media is.

Walk, I'm looking in Culver City and I plan to be here pretty much indefinitely.

January 14, 2011 11:51 AM  
Blogger Jake said...

Interesting. Good luck with it!

January 14, 2011 1:33 PM  
Blogger Gregory Feeley said...

My vegetarian nephew took my vegetarian son to the local In and Out Burger during a trip to California some years ago, and converted him into an enthusiast (though it's hard to see how). Haven't tried its pleasures, myself.

January 17, 2011 10:13 AM  
Anonymous Geoffrey Long said...

Aw, man - that's a major hit to my Cool People to Hang Out With Once I Return to Ohio list! Ah well - you should look up Henry and go hang out at USC once you get the chance.

February 22, 2011 8:43 PM  
Anonymous LK from So. Cal. said...

Welcome to the West Coast. Remember the sunblock, sunglasses and lotion. :)

May 26, 2011 6:36 PM  
Anonymous How To Get Rid Of Bad Breath said...

What is in and out burger??

sorry i'm not use with this term

August 06, 2011 7:15 AM  
Anonymous tips malam pertama said...

maybe it is some sort of burger in LA ??

October 11, 2011 11:15 PM  
Anonymous Shash said...

Welcome back to the blog. I hope you really enjoyed the time away.

I hope you don't get too homesick spending so much time in L.A.

November 23, 2011 11:59 PM  
Anonymous Luxury Apartments Lady said...

That's a big but exciting move! I visited America earlier this year and had in an out burger for the first time, it was true joy.

February 16, 2016 8:10 AM  
Anonymous restaurant management software india said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I look forward to your further postings.

February 02, 2022 12:10 AM  
Anonymous GOSTOPSITE33 said...

Thank you for posting this awesome article. I’m a long time reader but I’ve never been compelled to leave a comment.
I subscribed to your blog and shared this on my Facebook.
Thanks again for a great article!
고스톱

February 03, 2022 12:41 PM  
Anonymous Hotel Management Software said...

This is very beneficial to me. I’m happy I came across this website. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us; I still learn something new from your posts! It will give you a great idea.

February 07, 2022 1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home