Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Muleshoe

I drove to Taos, New Mexico from Austin, Texas using Bob's GPS Navigator. When digital watches got big, I found that unlike the hands on my Timex, a digital watch always told me precisely what time it was. But what it didn't show was what time it would be and what time it used to be. Time was a radius of a dial in my head. A GPS is like that. It showed me precisely where I was. But I had programmed it to give me directions to Taos. I knew I was going to stop for the night in Clovis because I made this drive last year. I drove up through the Texas Panhandle, around Lubbock. I got hungry. When I got to Muleshoe, I knew exactly where I was but I didn't know if Clovis was half and hour away or an hour and a half away.

So I decided to stop for dinner in Muleshoe.

I ended up at Pizza Hut. I don't particularly like Pizza Hut, but frankly, in Muleshoe, I wasn't sure if I wouldn't drive all the way through town and back into the empty panhandle. Muleshoe is not large. I had a really indifferent plate of pasta and then took this picture from the parking lot. As far as I can tell, Muleshoe is basically a cluster of buildings on the highway.

Clovis, while not a giant metropolis, is a decent sized town. It turned out to be 27 miles away. I'd have probably had a better dinner there, but I would never have gotten the great photo of a Muleshoe grain elevator.

5 Comments:

Blogger Darby M. Dixon III said...

Awesome.

May 13, 2008 11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have eaten at Leal's. You really missed out on some good Mexican food.

May 14, 2008 7:56 AM  
Blogger Adrienne Martini said...

There must be something about multi-day car trips and Pizza Hut. When the husband and I moved to Texas from PA, we stopping at a PH in deep Arkansas simply because we were starving. Between our accents and the waitresses accent, neither party could understand the other, even though we were both speaking the same language. Might be the only time I found myself pointing at pictures on the menu in the U.S. It was one of those surreal, long-road trip experiences.

Now, tho, I just want to go to Muleshoe. Or Clovis, which sounds oddly exotic.

May 14, 2008 9:06 AM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

I only wish I had eaten at Leal's. But alas, the GPS was no guide.

May 14, 2008 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Gabriel M said...

Appreciate your blog postt

January 28, 2022 4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home