Saturday, January 13, 2007

Celery Root

Ellen brought up celery root, but didn't know how to embed a photo in comments. I don't know how to embed a photo in comments, either. So here's what celery root looks like.

I did not make rutabaga yet.

I did, however, buy and stir fry opa squash, which tastes pretty similar to summer squash. It has just a slight touch of bitterness. Since I sauted it in red curry paste, ginger and garlic and dressed that with peanut butter, soy sauce and fish sauce, it could have tasted like cardboard for all anybody would have cared. (Peanut/sesame stir fry is Bob's all time favorite. What I did was basically make a Thai peanut sauce.)

So Opa has joined our list of veggies.

2 Comments:

Blogger David Moles said...

Hey, I can get almost all of those things here. What's the peanut butter / soy sauce ratio?

January 14, 2007 11:16 AM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Let's see, I use about a quarter cup of peanut butter and 3 tablespoons of soy sauce and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar (or honey) for a two people serving. And it microwaves pretty well the next day.

I put oil in a pan, heat it, throw the curry paste in and stir it around in the oil for about thirty seconds. Then add veggies and ginger and garlic and do the whole stir fry thing. Then at the end, throw in the peanut butter, soy sauce and brown sugar or honey. And lastly, throw my cooked rice into the whole thing. It's a one plate or bowl dinner and it looks like glop but tastes very good.

January 15, 2007 3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home