Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Something About Texas

From Harper's Index:

Number of U.S. counties where more than a fifth of "residents" are prison inmates: 21

Number of these that are in Texas: 10

* * *

For a long time the State of Texas used to have a website that listed the last meals of Texas condemned inmates. They have taken it down, but a capture of it is still available on the web. It has all the qualities of a good highway accident. I slowed down, I gawked.

The meals tend to be straightforward food. No one is asking for foie gras. Lots of hamburgers, lots of fried chicken.

David Castillo requested:

Twenty-four soft shell tacos, six enchiladas, six tostados, two whole onions, five jalapenos, two cheeseburgers, one chocolate shake, one quart of milk and one package of Marlboro cigarettes. (Prohibited by TDCJ policy)

David Castillo had a ninth grade education. He murdered a clerk in a liquor store hold-up, stabbing 59 Clarencio Champion. Champion died a week later.

John Baltazar's request was Cool Whip and Cherries. On 09/27/1997, Baltazar and one co-defendant kicked in the front door of a Corpus Christi home and began shooting. A five year old Hispanic female was struck by two bullets, causing her death. Another female and a male in the residence were struck by bullets, but survived the wounds.

I am trying to decide what I would want my last meal to be. It would finish with birthday cake and ice cream, because that is a guilty pleasure. I don't know that I'd actually be able to eat anything. But as a parlor game--if you were going to be stuck on a desert island, what five books would you take, if you could request your last meal, what would you eat--I find myself turning over choices.

7 Comments:

Blogger SquidgePa said...

Two green corn tamales, then carnitas, crispy style, served with fresh corn tortillas, grilled onions, peppers, guacamole, sour cream and salsa fresca. Cointreau Margarita, on the rocks, with salt.

For dessert, a warm slice of pecan pie, the caramelly kind, with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.

October 04, 2006 10:02 PM  
Blogger Greg van Eekhout said...

This question makes me totally anxious. I assume these final meals are prepared by the prison kitchen staff or are brought in take-out. So, what if I requested filet mignon but the cook can only handle chicken-fried steak? Maybe that's why so many of the prisoners order burgers and fries. They know the cook's limitations. Maybe the guy who requested six bags of Jolly Ranchers was just leaving nothing to chance.

October 06, 2006 11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Capital punishment.
One of my "hot butttons".

Let me get a little off topic,please.

I'm neither for,nor against it.

Years back I was surfing the net.I followed a link to,a link to a link,as as the case was.

I ran into Amnesty International's
web site.Having a few brews under my belt,I decided to dig a bit deeper.Lo!The death penalty in the United States!Let's check it out!

Big mistake!Nightmare city..

There is no way to "cleanly" execute a person.

Like I said,I'm neither for,for against.

But...

If the state feels it has a need to put someone to death.Why go through the gruesome rituals and methods?Why not do it the way it was done in the good old USSR?A walk down the hall,one bullet to the back of the head,over and out.

Sorry about the rant.I just had to comment that one.Speaking of Texas..

October 06, 2006 6:30 PM  
Blogger Nalo said...

*nods* I can't even bring my mind to consider the question, partly because of strongly I feel that *no-one* should ever have to consider it. But I do see why one would be fascinated at the thought of having to pick one's last meal. It's a haunting thought.

October 07, 2006 2:00 PM  
Blogger mapletree7 said...

I can't even decide between lemon cake and chocolate cake, let alone pick an entire meal.

Strawberries would definitely be on the menu, though.

October 09, 2006 1:19 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Wow, mapletree7, I just checked out your reading list. That's so cool.

October 09, 2006 10:40 PM  
Blogger gordsellar said...

That's brain-warping. Just trying to think about what I'd eat, my brain stops working on the question and goes down tangential sideways corridors. I imagine some of these are just the first thing these guys can think of, once the time has come. Though maybe not...

October 17, 2006 7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home