Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Winnowing Down

I got some great suggestions in email and even in person, as well as the suggestions here.

The favorites seem to be:

Baked Goods
McQsm
Free Cookies
Better Lucky Than Smart

So Karen, Darby, David Moles and Walter Jon (DubJay) are all finalists for a free shipment of cookies. Although David lives in Switzerland and might have to wait until June to get them. And Karen and Darby live in the same town so they might have to go to lunch with me if they win the cookies. Walter, you'll just get cookies.

My doctor is going to send me to the Sarcoid Clinic downtown to see if I have Sarcoidosis. Through this whole Hodgkins thing, I have been the person who is Not-So-Sick. For my oncologist, until we thought I'd relapsed, I was the patient with the most treatable illness and the least problems in treatment. When I went to the Bone Marrow Transplant Center, I was a Hodgkins patient, who unlike the leukemia patients upstairs, has a very small risk of dying from the transplant. Now, when I go to the Sarcoid Center, assuming I even have sarcoidosis (no one is sure yet what I have) I will be the person who is asymptomatic and therefore easy to deal with.

I like being the easy patient. But I'd still prefer the cause to be bat guano.

11 Comments:

Blogger Gregory Feeley said...

I think this should be like the Story Award, and even the finalists get some cookies.

March 14, 2006 7:30 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

But fewer cookies? With the big batch of cookies going to the winner?

Maureen goes around the country, distributing cookies.

March 14, 2006 8:36 PM  
Blogger Gregory Feeley said...

Have you learned nothing? All the nominees come to you, and you distribute the cookies -- yes, the winner gets the most -- after a fancy ceremony.

March 14, 2006 9:18 PM  
Blogger Darby M. Dixon III said...

I, for one, love a good ceremony.

March 14, 2006 9:40 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

But if all the nominees come to me, I have to clean the house!

Darby, for you there will be a ceremony. Maybe with a special hat.

March 14, 2006 9:59 PM  
Blogger Karen Sandstrom said...

Let's be clear, though: IF you have sarcoidosis, can we just DECIDE that it's from bat guano? They won't be able to determine that it's from less-interesting source, right?

March 15, 2006 6:22 AM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Karen, you're right! No one knows the cause of Sarcoidosis!

Good, Im sticking with bats.

March 15, 2006 9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about "Bats in the Belfry" for the blog?

March 15, 2006 2:10 PM  
Blogger Foxessa said...

Maureen Cookie Seed!

Love, C.

March 15, 2006 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could change it to BOB DOG & FUNGI, or GuanoRus. Good news to hear Maureen. I'm happy for you Lawrence.
I like Infectious Laughter also.

March 15, 2006 6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Baked Goods" and "Free Cookies" both refer to the nameing contest. A couple of months from now, you'll be looking for a new name.

"Better Lucky than Smart" doesn't describe much real about you. It may be how you currently felt about news on your recurrance, but your friends and you are more of the 'Better smart than lucky' crowd.

McQsm gets my vote.

March 17, 2006 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home