Thursday, March 09, 2006

Tagged for Songs

Erin tagged me with this one.

"List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they are any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now. Post these instructions in your blog along with your seven songs. Then tag seven other people to see what they’re listening to."

I won't tag people, but I'd really like to know what Darby is listening to. I figure Darby might be listening to some stuff I don't even know about. Greg Van Eekhout, David Moles and Christopher Barzak would be great, too.

My seven songs will be lame because I've been listening to my iPod, so it's been Maureen McHugh's personal greatest hits. And like a lot of people, much of my musical taste was fossilized in high school and college. I mean, I try to flex a little, but...

1. "In France They Kiss on Main Street" Joni Mitchell, from The Hissing of Summer Lawns.

2. "Gloria's Step II" Bill Evans, from Live at the Village Vanguard.

3. "Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel, from So.

4. "Come on! Feel the Illinois!" by Sufjan Stevens, from Come Feel the Illinoise. "John Wayne Gacy, Jr." too.*

5. "Gabriel's Mother's Highway Ballad #16" by Arlo Guthrie, from Washington County.

6. "Any World (That I'm Welcome To)" by Steeley Dan, from Katy Lied.

7. "Rock in this Pocket (Song of David)" by Suzanne Vega, from 99.9 Degrees.

I was surprised to see how few women were on this list. For years, when people asked me what kind of music I listened to, I said 'Neurotic White Women.' Joni Mitchell, Tori Amos, a little Sheryl Crow.

Adam sat down with me and played me some music he thought I might like, starting with Sufjan Stevens. He was right, I liked a lot of it. But I noticed most of the music he played for me was made entirely by guys. Although he did play me a group that consists of a divorced husband and wife. The wife plays percussion. That warms the cockles of my heart in so many ways.



*This is a bit unusual, since Sufjan Stevens wasn't even born when I was in college. Thanks Adam for introducing me to this one.

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg van Eekhout said...

Right now I'm only listening to Beatles. I've got a few hundred Beatles tracks loaded into iTunes, and they're in constant rotation. It's a comfort food thing as I find that a lot of what I've been listening to the past two years or so just isn't doing it for me.

Amusing piece on NPR this morning:

"I've Lost Too Many CD's To Stupid Chicks"

http://kjzz.org/news/arizona/archives/200603/troyIpod

March 10, 2006 11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Sufjan Stevens is superbly fantastic. And now I am going to make a suggestion for you -- Sun Kil Moon's "Tiny Cities Made of Ashes." It's lovely, and in heavy rotation in my life right now.

March 10, 2006 1:25 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Greg, Beatles are the comfort food of music, aren't they.

Louise, I'm on it. I listened to a couple of samples and ordered it from Amazon. Thanks! Thanks!

Have you heard anything about Rae? (Worry.)

March 10, 2006 1:31 PM  
Blogger Darby M. Dixon III said...

That strange sound you hear is my hands rubbing together as I begin plotting my list(s).

March 10, 2006 2:04 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

I absolutely freakin want to marry Sufjan Stevens. Unfortunately he is a member of a sect of religion that opposes that sort of thing between people of the same sex. But I'll love his music anyway, because I love in the way his god says we should to begin with. Nough said.

I can't pick out other songs in particular at this moment, but I'd say check out The New Asian Kung Fu Generation. Great Japanese band that's got popular in the west, and also The Brilliant Green, the same circumstances I also love Utada Hikaru. Umm, are we seeing a pattern? I *am* in Japan. Also, Love Psychodelico. Again, Japanese band, sings in both English and Japanese. If I weren't computer disabled at the moment, I'd list particular songs and albums, but I am comp. disabled, so take these group names and look them up. They are wonderful!

Love you! See you in a month and a half!

March 11, 2006 6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home