Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Mechanics of Dreaming

I dreamed I was visiting my mother (who was living in what looked like a four star hotel complete with shops in the lobby) and I discovered that she had taken some friends across the street to the local Scoopies* and treated them all to ice cream. Except all she had in her purse was a Provident Bank CD (certificate of deposit) for $10,000 and the ice cream place had not only accepted it but had given her a couple of hundred dollars in change and given her the rest in Scoopies' Gift Certificates. I was on my way across the street to try to straighten things out when I woke up.

*Scoopies is actually an ice cream place in New Mexico. And of course the dream was way more fluid than I have described. She didn't have a purse at first and she had dropped a large roll of money into a glass of water. I tend to have dreams that resemble the way I think when I write. Large roiling masses of stuff which sort of refines itself towards coherence. It's one of the reasons I am suspicious of dreams in stories.

4 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Sorry to interrupt, Maureen, but I tagged you on my blog to do a five weird habits meme that Gwenda Bond tagged me for. Blame her, she started it.

January 19, 2006 3:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NPR NPR NPR NPR!!

January 19, 2006 9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NPR wow! You rock, Maureen!

January 19, 2006 11:23 AM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Wow! My book was reviewed on NPR by Nancy Pearl! That is so cool!

Christopher, I would rather do almost anything than work.

January 19, 2006 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home