Saturday, June 11, 2005

Maybe We Overdid It...

We got up at 6:30 and had coffee and what not and headed down to the Ohio & Erie Canal Tow Path. We set south from Lock 35 headed for Penninsula, OH, about six miles away. There were places at the two mile and four mile mark where, if we felt as if we'd had enough, we could turn around. The Tow Path park is beautiful. The path itself is hard pack gravel, and it runs next to what used to be the canal. The canal was fed by the Cuyahoga river, which is west of the tow path and we saw a heron and lots of birds and chipmunks. Bob saw a snapping turtle with a shell the size of a garbage can lid in one of the few sections of canal that still has water in it. (A pond rather than a waterway, with fallen logs and duckweed.)

When we got to Boston, four miles down, we were still feeling game, so we pushed on. The last couple of miles seemed rather long, and then longer, and longer...and when we finally got to a road and a town, we found we'd overshot Penninsula and breakfast by four miles. (We'd thought the trail ran through the town rather than skirting the edge of it, from which the town was screened by trees.)

So we road ten miles out and ten miles back. I'm pretty much slaughtered, but goddamn, a twenty mile bike ride! I feel tough! Hey, I'm certainly not dead, not if I can ride twenty miles!

Tomorrow I'll feel crippled, I suspect.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mentioned how nice it was that the towpath was flat. I always liked the fact that when I head east from my house it is all basically up hill. That way, when I rode until I was tired, I could coast back and rest nearly all of the return trip.

Levin

June 11, 2005 1:44 PM  
Blogger Motherhood for the Weak said...

Congrats on the 20 miles. I hope you're not too sore tomorrow.

After a hard workout I usually start taking motrin for the rest of the day to help stave off the pain.

M

June 11, 2005 3:43 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Well, I was sore last night when I went to bed, but I'm not sore today. I am, however, bone tired. But thats just a combination of being out of shape and the lingering effects of chemo. I'm planning on exercising to banish a lot of that over the summer.

June 12, 2005 8:53 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

Jeez, I'm in pretty good shape, and if I'd done a 20 mile bike ride yesterday I'd be mashed flat today. I'm deeply impressed.

June 12, 2005 10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home