Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Facing the Day

Woke up feeling out of sorts and got more and more unhappy all morning. Tried a long hot bath and ended up miserable in the tub. Misery. Sheer, utter misery, for no reason I could explain, not even to the dogs who are the ultimate in non-judgmental.

So.

I got dressed and went downstairs and found my new watch cap which I haven't worn yet. I got it from Barth and I haven't thanked him yet--oh God, thank you Barth, thank you thank you. It is a talismanic watch cap because it says 'El Riesco Siempre Vive' which was graffitied on Vasquez's body armor in Aliens II. Vasquez is a sort of talismanic figure for me because when I married Bob I was 5'4" and 132 pounds of muscle--I was working out with weights. I was tough. And he compared me with Vasquez. Me and Vasquey, tough broads, you know?

I put on my Vasquez hat and went out to the library and picked up Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrel and and then got myself some lunch. Then I came home shoveled off part of the back deck so that the miniature dachshund would go out. This may not sound particularly tough to you, but for a woman who had been sitting in the bathtub in a funk, for a woman who now gets winded going up a flight of stairs (curse you belomycin) it was at least something.

Remember, the brave always live. Now I'm off to read Jonathan Strange, having been completely enchanted with the first chapter.

(Thank you Barth! Thank you thank you thank you!)

7 Comments:

Blogger Gregory Feeley said...

Next time, wear your body armor in the bathtub!

Hope you are enjoying Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. Hot chocolate is especially nice for reading while it snows.

March 08, 2005 3:51 PM  
Blogger David Moles said...

Maureen, once you're feeling better you need to write a story about the Vasquez who lived through that movie -- a plump, well-adjusted, middle-aged, happily married former Space Marine who's been out of the service for twenty years and doesn't think about it very often.

March 08, 2005 4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're welcome, you're welcome, Maureen! Glad it allowed you to release your inner Vasquey for a day. Also, I'm here to second David's motion for a middle-aged Vasquez story. *Great* idea.

Claire, is "brave" really how "riesgo" translates? I translate that phrase as "risks lives forever" but you probably understand it in context better than I. I've always been curious how that phrase really translated.

Barth

March 09, 2005 1:12 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Barth, I was the one who translated it as 'the brave always live' but Bob translates it as 'The risky live forever,' which I take to mean that Daredevils never die.'

March 09, 2005 2:33 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Barth, I was the one who translated it as 'the brave always live' but Bob translates it as 'The risky live forever,' which I take to mean that Daredevils never die.'

March 09, 2005 2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, so you did! Actually, either translation works for Vasquez. Maybe it has multiple meanings in Spanish? I dunno.

In searching for that quote I heard a story (can't vouch for it) that the actress who played Vasquez thought, at first, that ALIENS was about Mexican immigrants. She came to a casting call dressed like the Vasquez we know and love, and casting, who was picturing something very different, was like, "Whoa, it's Vasquez!" Supposedly Hudson's comment about her being an illegal alien is a reference to that.

No idea if that's true but I like the story.

Barth

March 09, 2005 9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, that would be actually:
'El Riesgo Siempre Vive' ("The Risk Always Lives") which is open to much interpretation and could be viewed from all sorts of perspectives. Three contexts below, for example:

'The Risk-taker Always Lives' (REALLY 'lives'... not just 'lives' in the Walter Mitty sense, but REALLY 'lives'--whatever that might mean actually.) This would be closer to your interpretation of 'The Brave Always Live'.

--or--
'The Risk Always Exists' (to those that are putting themselves in the line of fire/for they whose job it is to defend and protect, or explore dangerous environments, etc., etc.) This is more an admonition to the person sporting such an aphorism to be careful/to be ever vigilant for danger, etc.

--or--
'The Risk Always Lives' (for those who take chances.) This could be EITHER a caution to be vigilant and not make mistakes, OR an incitement to 'go ahead and make that decision' you're not sure of because all decisions are based on insufficient data anyway, and one simply has to trust one's instincts at some point and just move forward with a plan of some sort.

I am more inclined to think of it in this sense, frankly, because of Vasquez's role as Captain, etc., and the enormous responsibility that entails for decision-making and keeping her crew safe, and yet needing to be a decisive leader in charge of any situation, and giving confident instructions to her crew.

'The Risk Always Lives' (for those who take chances)... hmmm... a sharp, double-edged sword to be brandished only by those who are capable of using it, and highly trained in that use!

another Maureen

March 29, 2007 11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home