Sunday, January 30, 2005

Out and About

I tend to have the greatest fatigue (at least so far) in the couple of days right after chemo. (Other affects happen later.) But the day was sunny and Bob and I felt compelled to do something. So we went out and wandered around the mall, watching middle America shop. It was a surprisingly nice thing to do. Apparently, if you have a small child--stroller sized small child--one of the cheapest entertainments possible is to go to the mall. And there were, of course, disaffected teenagers attempting to purchase happiness.

But fatigue settled in like a fog after a couple of hours, and now I'm feeling a bit washed out. The nerve pain is already back. Mild, thank goodness. Since my blood counts are good, I can take anti-inflammatories, which I am hoping are the key to keeping it from getting as bad as the last time. The doctor says it is an unnusual but not unheard of side effect of one of the drugs, but wants to keep pushing through chemo. It never even occurred to me that it might be a reason to stop.

He did check to make sure that I don't have any real nerve damage. This consisted of testing sensation in my foot with a twist of metal wire that looks a little as if it started life as a large paper clip. One end of the wire is very dull, one has just a bit of a point to it, and he would ask, 'Dull or sharp?' I passed with flying colors. I am trying to imagine finding this device in a medical catalogue. What would it be called? 'Dull/Sharp?'

1 Comments:

Blogger Darby M. Dixon III said...

What really kind of blows my mind is that, someone out there probably has a patent on the oversized paperclip device. And their name for it is probably way less sexy than "Dull/Sharp".

January 30, 2005 11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home