Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Compromised

This afternoon was a non-cancer day. I had work to do and Peter Kvidera, a friend and colleague from the university, was unexpectedly in the neighborhood so I packed up the computer and met him at three to work together. I feel good, and we talked a bit about teaching, and then worked companionably. It was nice to just talk about books, and work and not be so preoccupied with myself.

But this morning was not a non-cancer morning. The wig and I went to pick up my mother to take her to lunch and she had a terrible cold but still wanted to go out to lunch. I hate being afraid of her cold. I hate not knowing what to do about taking her out. So I took her out any way. I had a bottle of Purell (the hand sanitizer stuff) that Bob gave me stuck in my purse so I just kept using it on my hands and trying not to touch her.

Poor mom. A cold makes it hard for anyone to think, but for her, that meant she couldn't understand what I meant when I asked her if she wanted chicken or fish for lunch. She couldn't understand that she needed a coat (so I just took one out of the closet and put it on her.) She didn't eat much, but she was so desperate to get out I'm glad I took her.

Of course, if I get her cold, I may not be so glad. But I hate calculating that way. She demands so little.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather Mackin said...

You'll never believe it...my mom has a cold also (she flies in tomorrow night to help out this weekend). My husband is also coming down with something. There's also a woman a work with a cold and a client I saw today hackin' up a lung. I'm surrounded!! I hope you stay healthy for chemo on thursday!

January 25, 2005 9:52 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Heather! We are surrounded! Here's hoping we can both stay healthy for Thursday.

I still say the weirdest thing I've ever said is, 'I really want to have chemo today.' Kind of like saying, 'I really want to catch the flu today.'

January 25, 2005 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home