Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Brave

Tomorrow is another chemo day, unless my blood counts are too low, then chemo day is Monday.

I have been thinking that I should point out to people that this is all really far less awful than it sounds. Hodgkins has an incredible cure rate. I'm at the fourth best hospital in the country* with a doctor who made the 2002 edition of Best Doctors in America. My presentation of disease is mild and standard, which makes having a great doctor at a great hospital a little like calling the National Guard to get your cat out of the tree. The treatment is pretty easy to take.

But I've decided I prefer that people think of me as suffering and brave, so I'm not going to do that.

*The best hospitals in the country are:

1. John Hopkins

2. Mayo Clinic

3. Massachusetts General in Boston

4. The Cleveland Clinic

From U.S. News and World Reports.

4 Comments:

Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

We will continue to think of you as "Brave Little Maureen." And just because you don't have one of those weird variant strains that gets written up in the New England Journal of Medicine is really no reason to head out to the mall to go to "Dox R Us" for treatment...

December 29, 2004 1:19 PM  
Blogger Ted said...

Yeah, until Hodgkins is curable with a tube of ointment you pick up from the pharmacist, we'll call you brave.

Maureen, I don't really have a blog, I just hang around on the margins of a blogging crowd. (I discovered your blog last week; I posted a comment to your entry on Thomas Hodgkins when I was reading through the older entries.)

December 29, 2004 2:16 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Okay, what if the tube of ointment made your hair fall out?

You may hang out on the margins, but you're with all the coolest kids on the playground, Ted. Although someone needs to post something on withboots cause no one has since Richard posted back on 12/18.

December 30, 2004 9:24 AM  
Blogger Ken Houghton said...

The "s" at the end of Johns Hopkins appears to have been appended to U.S. News and World Report.

I think it was Safliar who predicted that 2005 will be the year that a single pill is developed to both cure prostate cancer and cause hair to grow back.

Even if there is a female version, we will still define brave by the determination to attempt survival.

December 30, 2004 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home